Sunday, June 27, 2010

: Saturday : Journey :

~ Happy Birthday, Jared!! ~

Jared's official birthday was Tuesday and we did most of our official celebrating on the day of, though we continued on Saturday. The beautiful sunny day began with a birthday breakfast. This included yogurt with strawberries and blueberries, hot cocoa, scrambled eggs with ketchup, and chocolate pancakes. I was trying to aim for breakfast in bed, but he woke up far earlier than I had predicted. He curled up in a ball and looked at books while I prepared his meal fit for a young prince.

We have never celebrated with a birthday ring before this year. He sat down and actually spent a good portion of time playing with the little characters and rearranging them.

...5 times around the sun....
For those who are puzzled by this picture, it is a spiral path I "carved" out of the weeds. This is a path traveled 5 times in Jared's case because it represents 5 years having passed in his journey of life. Going around the sun simulates the Earth's travel in a year's time. Jared, of course traveled this path several times for the fun of it, accompanied by his brothers.

Sporting the Summer Solstice/Birthday Crown

Grandma's lovely wrapping and personalized card...

A look of approval...Jared and Dylan each received a wooden boat for bathtime, which alleviates a lot of potential headaches if they were to have to share just one. They immediately tested them out for quite some time. The sound of splashes and excited voices filled the house.

Ah, yes. The gnomes. Both the younger boys really appreciated these. I overheard several conversations between the gnomes as I sat nearby and Jared built a walkway and some stairs for them so they could come and go as they pleased.

Facilitating the fresh lemonade.....Oh man, it was tasty...and I don't even care for lemonade generally.

This is a fantastic chocolate cake, whose recipe for both the cake and the chocolate frosting must be shared. Perhaps, I will post the recipe on Monday. Jared, for the last 2 years, has spoken of always wanting a chocolate cake with strawberries and blueberries, so I finally made him one.
Additionally, we went on a hike, as usual, watched a doggie movie, and just spent some time together, leaving it up to Jared what he wanted to do at any given time.

To the park on Saturday...

Mommy-dyed earthy play silks.

Checkers finally unveiled...

I spent all morning, and the night before, trying to finish Jared's quilt, but I still have to finish the binding. He is already excited to use it, as he has watched the process of it having been put together. I guess it really doesn't matter if it was done by his birthday or a week thereafter. I hope to feature it by Tuesday.

Otherwise, he had a wonderful week and celebration. He is so proud to be 5 years old, as I have never seen him before about his age. I am proud of him. These moments, no matter how they come, must be savored and remembered because they are among the beautiful elements to their path of life. 

Additionally, I preceded his birthday with a sweet little poem that he must have had me repeat to him a hundred times! It goes a little something like this:

When I have said my evening prayer,
And my clothes are folded on the chair,
And Mother switches off the light,
I'll still be 4 years old tonight.
But from the very break of day,
Before the children rise and play,
Before the darkness turns to gold,
Tomorrow, I'll be 5 years old.
5 kisses when I wake,
5 candles on my cake!

Happy Birthday, Jared! I look forward to guiding you through your sixth year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful celebration! Jared must have felt so special and very much loved:) My little one's 2nd birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I'm slowly getting together all the things I'm making and planning for her celebration. It has been really inspiring for me to see all these things you've done. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky boy. Happy birthday, Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great ideas!big inspirations.. and happy birthday, Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful day!

    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete